- How much local is too much? wp.me/pI0YW-wGTweeted 1 day ago
- #vawine #mdwine peeps - I'll be on the WaPo Food chat at noon today. Lots last week on local #wine! Pro and con ow.ly/vR8KgTweeted 1 day ago
- And what's up with Clippard? #NatitudeTweeted 5 days ago
- 09 @Barboursville CF Reserve, opened Tuesday, showing beautifully tonight. #vawineTweeted 5 days ago
- Playoff quality baseball in April! Life is good! And RYan Zimmerman for MVP! #Natitude #mustbeatbravesTweeted 5 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- How much local is too much?
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- OK, so now I have tasted a Marcassin pinot noir ... and liked it!
- Millennials and Wine: Revolution or Evolution?
- Choosing a "house wine" - what are your criteria?
- Bordeaux tries to recapture the imagination of U.S. wine lovers
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name
- What's ahead in 2014 for wine lovers?
- They DO Make Good #Wine in Greece!
Category Archives: Bargain Wines
Here are a few recommendations from my January 1 Washington Post column, including one of the best red wines I’ve tasted from Austria. I had the pleasure of visiting Franz Netzl and his family in December 2012 in Göttlesbrunn, in Carnuntum, just … Continue reading
Some readers who do not regularly have a chance to read The Washington Post’s Wednesday Food section have asked me to post my columns and wine recommendations here more regularly. So I will try to do that in some form … Continue reading
Regular readers of this blog know my buddy, Jeff Siegel, aka The Wine Curmudgeon. We are co-founders of DrinkLocalWine.com, the website that became a movement (or at least anticipated one). Jeff is the Eugene Debs of wine consumers, always championing … Continue reading
This is the second in my monthly series of interviews with wine retailers throughout the D-M-V. Christina Findley opened The Bottle Shop just over two years ago in the Potomac Woods Plaza shopping center off Seven Locks Road in Rockville. … Continue reading
This Wine of the Week is a real “WoW”! The Lello Tinto 2009 from Portugal’s magnificent Douro Valley is the best Douro wine I’ve tasted under $10. The 2009 is better even that previous vintages. If price has kept you … Continue reading
Here’s what’s up this week in wine: Wine Enthusiast has discovered that Virginia is for Wine Lovers. The magazine has anointed the Old Dominion as one of the 10 best wine regions in the world to visit. Quite a coup, … Continue reading
Now that the holiday splurge is over, it’s probably time to be looking again at bargains in the wine aisles. Here is a sneak peak at one of my Bargain Bottles recommendations (formerly Recession Busters, but I wanted to feel … Continue reading
When Lettie Teague of the Wall Street Journal published a blog post last month about Ed Sands of DC’s Calvert Woodley wine store, my wife started berating me for letting an out-of-towner scoop me on interviewing one of this area’s … Continue reading
In the bargain bubbly category, it’s hard to beat Cava, Spain’s answer to Champagne. I’ve tasted many of these over the years and rarely have I found one I didn’t like. To paraphrase Animal Farm, “All Cavas are good. Some … Continue reading
Let’s face it – there’s nothing like Champagne, but Champagne is expensive. Sometimes we want the celebration of bubbles without the expense. Luckily, there are any number of tasty, inexpensive sparkling wines made around the world that can serve the … Continue reading