The New York legislature has seen the
light! After 15 years of effort by the state‚€™s wine industry, and just
a little prodding by the US Supreme Court, the Empire State has enacted
a law to allow interstate direct shipping of wine to consumers.
Informed by the Supremes that its law allowing New York wineries to ship
to consumers in state while banning shipments from California or
elsewhere was unconstitutional, New York‚€™s lawmakers did the honorable
thing and opted for free trade. Regulated free trade, mind you, but
New York, you will recall, was one of two states directly affected by
the Supreme Court ruling. The other state, Michigan (State motto:
‚€œWe‚€™re not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.‚€)
appears to be moving the other way, with state liquor authorities
seeking legislation to ban all shipment. Such a move could gravely
injure Michigan‚€™s own wine industry just as it is beginning to gain
New York‚€™s law would allow wineries to ship up to 36 cases a year to a
customer across state lines and allows shipments into New York from
wineries in states that allow reciprocal shipment. Out-of-state wineries
will require New York licenses, so there will be some deviltry in the
details of regulation. But for now, New York’s winemakers are ecstatic,
and I have another reason to consider moving to a reciprocal state.
(Get the point, Maryland?)
- @SuePlayer My friend had that in his cellar for years!Tweeted 1 week ago
- Lordy I hope there‚Äôs pet-nat! #tastecamp #lordyihope #OldWestminster #wine https://t.co/LbxswFAkkHTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @NakedWinesCOM: Amazing feature about immigrant families that helped shape American winemaking. via @dmwine - includes @DaliaCeja and Ev‚Ä¶Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- Thanks, Blake! twitter.com/wblakegray/sta‚Ä¶Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- RT @JoeYonan: This multimedia piece by @dmwine is worth spending some time with. Click on the play buttons for audio clips! https://t.co/Yb‚Ä¶Tweeted 3 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Worth Reading This Week: Turn it down, already! I've got a headache from all these allergenic additives in my organic wine!
- At Trump Winery - Renovations, not demolitions
- Chablis: The Ultimate in Unoaked Chardonnay
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name
- Virginia allows corkage - but does anybody know that?
- Figeac: The misunderstood Premier Grand Cru Class√© of St. Emilion
- RdV releases 2009 wines