The New York legislature has seen the
light! After 15 years of effort by the stateâ€™s wine industry, and just
a little prodding by the US Supreme Court, the Empire State has enacted
a law to allow interstate direct shipping of wine to consumers.
Informed by the Supremes that its law allowing New York wineries to ship
to consumers in state while banning shipments from California or
elsewhere was unconstitutional, New Yorkâ€™s lawmakers did the honorable
thing and opted for free trade. Regulated free trade, mind you, but
New York, you will recall, was one of two states directly affected by
the Supreme Court ruling. The other state, Michigan (State motto:
â€œWeâ€™re not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.â€)
appears to be moving the other way, with state liquor authorities
seeking legislation to ban all shipment. Such a move could gravely
injure Michiganâ€™s own wine industry just as it is beginning to gain
New Yorkâ€™s law would allow wineries to ship up to 36 cases a year to a
customer across state lines and allows shipments into New York from
wineries in states that allow reciprocal shipment. Out-of-state wineries
will require New York licenses, so there will be some deviltry in the
details of regulation. But for now, New York’s winemakers are ecstatic,
and I have another reason to consider moving to a reciprocal state.
(Get the point, Maryland?)
- RT @masnNationals: Baker's back in West Palm Beach, where he trained with the Braves as a player. masn.me/r4al #IBackTheNats httâ¦Tweeted 4 days ago
- RT @masnNationals: TFW you realize spring training starts next week! #IBackTheNats ğâ¾ï¸ğ https://t.co/uZZePfPtSSTweeted 1 week ago
- Enjoyed dinner tonight at ALL SET in Silver Spring. Good crab cakes, nice wine list! @allsetDTSS #wine #eatlocalTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @fritzhahn: .@WaPoFood goes to Walmart: Me on house-label 'craft' beer: wapo.st/2kIyCpU @dmwine on $7 95pt house red: https://â¦Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- RT @barbaraslavin1: a week ago, we did not have all these problems...Tweeted 3 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Sneak Preview Wine: Little James' Basket Press 2010 Viognier-Sauvignon Blanc
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- DC Hails Two New Master Sommeliers
- Catch-Up News: Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard Changes Hands
- Solving the Riedel of Coke
- Sneak Preview Wine of the Week #4: Partridge Foot?
- Figeac: The misunderstood Premier Grand Cru ClassÃ© of St. Emilion
- An Irish kosher wine from New Zealand?
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?