Iâ€™m a big fan of screwcaps, as you may know from reading Dave McIntyreâ€™s WineLine.
But am I the only one who finds Stelvins frustratingly hard to open?
This most common type of screwcap is attached to the foil by a
perforation that should separate with a good hard twist, but the foil
always turns, too. Iâ€™m desperate to get the first sip of wine, but the
darn thing spins under my fist and mocks me with a derision Iâ€™ve
seldom suffered since high school. I try gripper pads and pliers to hold
the foil or cap in place; sometimes these tactics work, but usually
not. So I hand the bottle to my wife, who grips the cap with her
super-secret-womanâ€™s grasp and bingo! the damn thingâ€™s open. More derision ensues, but at least now I have some wine to soothe my sense of inadequacy.
- RT @Raffaldini: Thank you @WineEnthusiast and @dmwine for spreading the word about @NCFineWines! winemag.com/2018/03/07/norâ€¦Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @jncorcoran1: An exciting new Virginia wine is ripe for the tasting wapo.st/2p0bK84?tid=ssâ€¦ by @dmwineTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @jncorcoran1: A veteran winemaker throws out the wine-selling playbook wapo.st/2Igy3iI?tid=ssâ€¦ by @dmwineTweeted 1 week ago
- Heâ€™s definitely trying to do something different! #wine twitter.com/tonicmarketingâ€¦Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @patlee: Great to see the @washingtonpost write up on @adampinot and Clarice Wine Company by @dmwine. Adam is trying something completâ€¦Tweeted 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Bubbles! Bubbles! Bubbles!
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Excitement in Portugal
- Worth Reading This Week: Turn it down, already! I've got a headache from all these allergenic additives in my organic wine!
- Is Wine Really an Agricultural Product?
- The Mother Vine: Regional Wine's Origin in the OBX
- Champagne: What Glass to Choose?
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- Maxwell Park adds somm pizzazz to DC's wine bar scene