I‚€™m a big fan of screwcaps, as you may know from reading Dave McIntyre‚€™s WineLine.
But am I the only one who finds Stelvins frustratingly hard to open?
This most common type of screwcap is attached to the foil by a
perforation that should separate with a good hard twist, but the foil
always turns, too. I‚€™m desperate to get the first sip of wine, but the
darn thing spins under my fist and mocks me with a derision I‚€™ve
seldom suffered since high school. I try gripper pads and pliers to hold
the foil or cap in place; sometimes these tactics work, but usually
not. So I hand the bottle to my wife, who grips the cap with her
super-secret-woman‚€™s grasp and bingo! the damn thing‚€™s open. More derision ensues, but at least now I have some wine to soothe my sense of inadequacy.
- RT @convivialdc: Find the @GonetMedeville #1ercru by the glass at @convivialdc. Couldn't agree more w/@dmwine. It is exceptional. https://‚Ä¶Tweeted 6 days ago
- RT @TJwinery: Thank you @washingtonpost @dmwine for including our XtraBrut in your selection for the Holidays. Cheers! https://t.co/mZVz9FA‚Ä¶Tweeted 6 days ago
- @moviolavideo SureTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @Margaux_du_ChM: Article in @washingtonpost by @dmwine about new Managing Director #PhilippeBascaules washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food‚Ä¶Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @FRESHFARMSlvrSp: Grab some willow oak cider (by #countrypleasuresfarm) today @FRESHFARMSlvrSp! @dmwine endorsed! ow.ly/PUHD306JeieTweeted 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- RdV releases 2009 wines
- Fracchia “Voulet” Malvasia di Casorzo
- WoW: Angulo Innocenti Cabernet Sauvignon, Argentina $20
- #WW Five Champagnes for the Holidays, and Beyond
- Virginia allows corkage - but does anybody know that?
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name
- Philippe Sereys de Rothschild Brings Business Savvy and Impish Humor to a Wine Empire
- A Failed Tea Party with Hugh Johnson