I‚€™m a big fan of screwcaps, as you may know from reading Dave McIntyre‚€™s WineLine.
But am I the only one who finds Stelvins frustratingly hard to open?
This most common type of screwcap is attached to the foil by a
perforation that should separate with a good hard twist, but the foil
always turns, too. I‚€™m desperate to get the first sip of wine, but the
darn thing spins under my fist and mocks me with a derision I‚€™ve
seldom suffered since high school. I try gripper pads and pliers to hold
the foil or cap in place; sometimes these tactics work, but usually
not. So I hand the bottle to my wife, who grips the cap with her
super-secret-woman‚€™s grasp and bingo! the damn thing‚€™s open. More derision ensues, but at least now I have some wine to soothe my sense of inadequacy.
- Sock it to me! twitter.com/zaytinyadc/sta‚Ä¶Tweeted 11 hours ago
- Bubbles! Gramona Imperial Cava w/bone marrow kibbeh. Amazing! #sommsuncorked @ZaytinyaDC https://t.co/141tLAJlEoTweeted 13 hours ago
- Somm throw down @ZaytinyaDC. Assyrtiko v. Serbian Muscat w/salmon! Acidity wins this round! https://t.co/WlmdltJx1ITweeted 14 hours ago
- RT @Virginia_Made: Why, yes Virginia, there is a Sparkling Norton. @Casanel Vineyard's Red Spark @dmwine @TheVAGrape @WineAboutVa @vawine‚Ä¶Tweeted 1 day ago
- RT @itswinebyme: Happy 40th Joel Peterson and @ravenswoodwine! Who knew his first target market was DC!Thanks @dmwine for the intel! https:‚Ä¶Tweeted 2 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- Sneak Preview Champagne #2: Jos√© Michel et Fils Brut Tradition
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name
- Bordeaux tries to recapture the imagination of U.S. wine lovers
- Worth Reading This Week: Turn it down, already! I've got a headache from all these allergenic additives in my organic wine!
- Figeac: The misunderstood Premier Grand Cru Class√© of St. Emilion