Iâ€™m a big fan of screwcaps, as you may know from reading Dave McIntyreâ€™s WineLine.
But am I the only one who finds Stelvins frustratingly hard to open?
This most common type of screwcap is attached to the foil by a
perforation that should separate with a good hard twist, but the foil
always turns, too. Iâ€™m desperate to get the first sip of wine, but the
darn thing spins under my fist and mocks me with a derision Iâ€™ve
seldom suffered since high school. I try gripper pads and pliers to hold
the foil or cap in place; sometimes these tactics work, but usually
not. So I hand the bottle to my wife, who grips the cap with her
super-secret-womanâ€™s grasp and bingo! the damn thingâ€™s open. More derision ensues, but at least now I have some wine to soothe my sense of inadequacy.
- RT @LauraCatena: Yes! we love the connection with France where our beloved Malbec and our Rothschild partners come from - SantĂ©! đźŤ·@dmwine @â€¦Tweeted 2 days ago
- RT @DCPEST: In Chincoteague, when @dmwine says buy 2015 French wine, we buy 2015 French wine. But probably will check out some local wineriâ€¦Tweeted 5 days ago
- RT @RaventosiBlanc: "Raventos i Blanc is trying to elevate Spanish bubbly to the level of champagne" @dmwine at @washingtonpost https://tâ€¦Tweeted 5 days ago
- 5 wines to try: Scintillating, electric, lovely, sparkling, tasty #wine #winelover washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/foodâ€¦Tweeted 5 days ago
- A 3-point plan for choosing #wine you really want to drink washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/foodâ€¦Tweeted 5 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- That Amazing Virginia Pinot Noir at #WBC11
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Wednesday wine recommendations, 8/9/2017
- Virginia allows corkage - but does anybody know that?
- Regional Wine at the Obama Inauguration
- Italy's Three Kings
- Worth Reading This Week: Turn it down, already! I've got a headache from all these allergenic additives in my organic wine!
- Drouhin, at home and abroad
- Almaviva: Chile's grand opus turns 20