Iâ€™m a big fan of screwcaps, as you may know from reading Dave McIntyreâ€™s WineLine.
But am I the only one who finds Stelvins frustratingly hard to open?
This most common type of screwcap is attached to the foil by a
perforation that should separate with a good hard twist, but the foil
always turns, too. Iâ€™m desperate to get the first sip of wine, but the
darn thing spins under my fist and mocks me with a derision Iâ€™ve
seldom suffered since high school. I try gripper pads and pliers to hold
the foil or cap in place; sometimes these tactics work, but usually
not. So I hand the bottle to my wife, who grips the cap with her
super-secret-womanâ€™s grasp and bingo! the damn thingâ€™s open. More derision ensues, but at least now I have some wine to soothe my sense of inadequacy.
- @pgsalvador Thatâ€™s not my email address. Send me a DM.Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- True dat. twitter.com/bordeauxwines/â€¦Tweeted 1 month ago
- Amazing California Syrah (with a sploosh of Grenache). A â€śRhĂ´neâ€ť style #wine, yes, but with a decidedly delicious Câ€¦ twitter.com/i/web/status/9â€¦Tweeted 1 month ago
- Textbook Bordeaux, with all the right flavors of graphite (pencil), black currant etc etc, but without the stress oâ€¦ twitter.com/i/web/status/9â€¦Tweeted 1 month ago
- I donâ€™t know who Barry is, or why heâ€™d keep a pet moth, but this is one heck of a nice #wine. Deep and rich, with pâ€¦ twitter.com/i/web/status/9â€¦Tweeted 1 month ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Choosing a "house wine" - what are your criteria?
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Sneak Preview WoW: Murrieta's Well, The Whip 2010 $20
- Figeac: The misunderstood Premier Grand Cru ClassĂ© of St. Emilion
- The World Atlas of Wine: Essential Reading for Wine Lovers
- A Failed Tea Party with Hugh Johnson
- Almaviva: Chile's grand opus turns 20
- Pinot Reigns Supreme at IPNC
- TN: Conte Brandolini Treanni, $19
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name