I’ve enjoyed two especially good wine-food pairings recently in restaurants. At Zola
on F St NW in DC, I winced at the thought of matching a red wine with
prawns and gingered grits, as shellfish always seems to kill red wine
for me. But on the advice of Ralph Rosenberg, Zola’s beverage manager, I
tried it with Schloss Gobelsburg 2001 St. Laurent from
Austria (Terry Thiesse Selections). Quite similar to a Pinot Noir with
its delicate floral nose, but with a smoky bacon note that also
suggested Syrah, I was glad I wasn’t asked to identify the wine blind.
The palate was dominated by cherries, with a medium mouthfeel and long,
delicate finish. It was a beautiful match, especially with the ginger in
the grits, and it had the acidity to match the prawns.
It was a more traditional pairing I enjoyed at Johnny’s Half Shell on P St NW near Dupont Circle, as I enjoyed chef Ann Cashion’s grilled scallops, squash and endive with a glass of Lucashof 2004 Riesling
from the Pfalz (HB Wine Merchants, Manhasset NY). The wine was long,
with apricot and passion fruit flavors and a stony, mineral finish. It
contrasted beautifully with the sweetness and smokiness of the scallops
and squash, and the bitterness of the endive.
- So much #Zinfandel, so little time! #wine #ZAPTweeted 3 days ago
- RT @DonnafugataWine: “Sometimes a good #wine just needs to get the job done, but with a little added flair. This juicy red blend based on #…Tweeted 6 days ago
- Excitement in Portugal dmwineline.wordpress.com/2018/01/16/exc…Tweeted 1 week ago
- Great Values of 2017 dmwineline.wordpress.com/2018/01/15/gre…Tweeted 1 week ago
- @scobry Too much for a tweet! If your 1st visit, include some history, such as Buena Vista, Mondavi, Inglenook, Sta… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…Tweeted 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Excitement in Portugal
- Great Values of 2017
- More on the Loss of Billington Wines
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Sneak Preview Wine of the Week #4: Partridge Foot?
- A Failed Tea Party with Hugh Johnson
- Global Warming - Friend or Foe?
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Wednesday wine recommendations, 8/30/2017