I’ve enjoyed two especially good wine-food pairings recently in restaurants. At Zola
on F St NW in DC, I winced at the thought of matching a red wine with
prawns and gingered grits, as shellfish always seems to kill red wine
for me. But on the advice of Ralph Rosenberg, Zola’s beverage manager, I
tried it with Schloss Gobelsburg 2001 St. Laurent from
Austria (Terry Thiesse Selections). Quite similar to a Pinot Noir with
its delicate floral nose, but with a smoky bacon note that also
suggested Syrah, I was glad I wasn’t asked to identify the wine blind.
The palate was dominated by cherries, with a medium mouthfeel and long,
delicate finish. It was a beautiful match, especially with the ginger in
the grits, and it had the acidity to match the prawns.
It was a more traditional pairing I enjoyed at Johnny’s Half Shell on P St NW near Dupont Circle, as I enjoyed chef Ann Cashion’s grilled scallops, squash and endive with a glass of Lucashof 2004 Riesling
from the Pfalz (HB Wine Merchants, Manhasset NY). The wine was long,
with apricot and passion fruit flavors and a stony, mineral finish. It
contrasted beautifully with the sweetness and smokiness of the scallops
and squash, and the bitterness of the endive.
- RT @VACommTrade: ICYMI: Great @dmwine @washingtonpost tribute to modern Virginia craft cider industry pioneer @FoggyRidgeCider Diane Flynt.…Tweeted 6 days ago
- @VACommTrade @washingtonpost @FoggyRidgeCider @VAWine @VisitVirginia Thanks, Todd!Tweeted 6 days ago
- @fromartz @WaPoFood As long as there’s good bread, all is fine. 😉Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @FoggyRidgeCider: Thanks to @dmwine for this lovely piece in @washingtonpost on my return to the orchard. Overwhelmed by the kind words…Tweeted 1 week ago
- I ❤️ @LeftFootCharley #wines. So glad to have them in DC area, thanks to @chiefwino twitter.com/michwine/statu…Tweeted 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- The Thanksgiving wine conundrum ...
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- Almaviva: Chile's grand opus turns 20
- OK, so now I have tasted a Marcassin pinot noir ... and liked it!
- A Failed Tea Party with Hugh Johnson
- The resilience of Burgundy
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Champagne: What Glass to Choose?
- Regional Wine at the Obama Inauguration