I’ve enjoyed two especially good wine-food pairings recently in restaurants. At Zola
on F St NW in DC, I winced at the thought of matching a red wine with
prawns and gingered grits, as shellfish always seems to kill red wine
for me. But on the advice of Ralph Rosenberg, Zola’s beverage manager, I
tried it with Schloss Gobelsburg 2001 St. Laurent from
Austria (Terry Thiesse Selections). Quite similar to a Pinot Noir with
its delicate floral nose, but with a smoky bacon note that also
suggested Syrah, I was glad I wasn’t asked to identify the wine blind.
The palate was dominated by cherries, with a medium mouthfeel and long,
delicate finish. It was a beautiful match, especially with the ginger in
the grits, and it had the acidity to match the prawns.
It was a more traditional pairing I enjoyed at Johnny’s Half Shell on P St NW near Dupont Circle, as I enjoyed chef Ann Cashion’s grilled scallops, squash and endive with a glass of Lucashof 2004 Riesling
from the Pfalz (HB Wine Merchants, Manhasset NY). The wine was long,
with apricot and passion fruit flavors and a stony, mineral finish. It
contrasted beautifully with the sweetness and smokiness of the scallops
and squash, and the bitterness of the endive.
- @pgsalvador That’s not my email address. Send me a DM.Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- True dat. twitter.com/bordeauxwines/…Tweeted 1 month ago
- Amazing California Syrah (with a sploosh of Grenache). A “Rhône” style #wine, yes, but with a decidedly delicious C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…Tweeted 1 month ago
- Textbook Bordeaux, with all the right flavors of graphite (pencil), black currant etc etc, but without the stress o… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…Tweeted 1 month ago
- I don’t know who Barry is, or why he’d keep a pet moth, but this is one heck of a nice #wine. Deep and rich, with p… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…Tweeted 1 month ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Choosing a "house wine" - what are your criteria?
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Sneak Preview WoW: Murrieta's Well, The Whip 2010 $20
- Figeac: The misunderstood Premier Grand Cru Classé of St. Emilion
- The World Atlas of Wine: Essential Reading for Wine Lovers
- A Failed Tea Party with Hugh Johnson
- Almaviva: Chile's grand opus turns 20
- Pinot Reigns Supreme at IPNC
- TN: Conte Brandolini Treanni, $19
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name