I’ve enjoyed two especially good wine-food pairings recently in restaurants. At Zola
on F St NW in DC, I winced at the thought of matching a red wine with
prawns and gingered grits, as shellfish always seems to kill red wine
for me. But on the advice of Ralph Rosenberg, Zola’s beverage manager, I
tried it with Schloss Gobelsburg 2001 St. Laurent from
Austria (Terry Thiesse Selections). Quite similar to a Pinot Noir with
its delicate floral nose, but with a smoky bacon note that also
suggested Syrah, I was glad I wasn’t asked to identify the wine blind.
The palate was dominated by cherries, with a medium mouthfeel and long,
delicate finish. It was a beautiful match, especially with the ginger in
the grits, and it had the acidity to match the prawns.
It was a more traditional pairing I enjoyed at Johnny’s Half Shell on P St NW near Dupont Circle, as I enjoyed chef Ann Cashion’s grilled scallops, squash and endive with a glass of Lucashof 2004 Riesling
from the Pfalz (HB Wine Merchants, Manhasset NY). The wine was long,
with apricot and passion fruit flavors and a stony, mineral finish. It
contrasted beautifully with the sweetness and smokiness of the scallops
and squash, and the bitterness of the endive.
- @SuePlayer My friend had that in his cellar for years!Tweeted 1 week ago
- Lordy I hope there’s pet-nat! #tastecamp #lordyihope #OldWestminster #wine https://t.co/LbxswFAkkHTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @NakedWinesCOM: Amazing feature about immigrant families that helped shape American winemaking. via @dmwine - includes @DaliaCeja and Ev…Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- Thanks, Blake! twitter.com/wblakegray/sta…Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- RT @JoeYonan: This multimedia piece by @dmwine is worth spending some time with. Click on the play buttons for audio clips! https://t.co/Yb…Tweeted 3 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Worth Reading This Week: Turn it down, already! I've got a headache from all these allergenic additives in my organic wine!
- At Trump Winery - Renovations, not demolitions
- Chablis: The Ultimate in Unoaked Chardonnay
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name
- Virginia allows corkage - but does anybody know that?
- Figeac: The misunderstood Premier Grand Cru Classé of St. Emilion
- RdV releases 2009 wines