I’ve enjoyed two especially good wine-food pairings recently in restaurants. At Zola
on F St NW in DC, I winced at the thought of matching a red wine with
prawns and gingered grits, as shellfish always seems to kill red wine
for me. But on the advice of Ralph Rosenberg, Zola’s beverage manager, I
tried it with Schloss Gobelsburg 2001 St. Laurent from
Austria (Terry Thiesse Selections). Quite similar to a Pinot Noir with
its delicate floral nose, but with a smoky bacon note that also
suggested Syrah, I was glad I wasn’t asked to identify the wine blind.
The palate was dominated by cherries, with a medium mouthfeel and long,
delicate finish. It was a beautiful match, especially with the ginger in
the grits, and it had the acidity to match the prawns.
It was a more traditional pairing I enjoyed at Johnny’s Half Shell on P St NW near Dupont Circle, as I enjoyed chef Ann Cashion’s grilled scallops, squash and endive with a glass of Lucashof 2004 Riesling
from the Pfalz (HB Wine Merchants, Manhasset NY). The wine was long,
with apricot and passion fruit flavors and a stony, mineral finish. It
contrasted beautifully with the sweetness and smokiness of the scallops
and squash, and the bitterness of the endive.
- RT @convivialdc: Find the @GonetMedeville #1ercru by the glass at @convivialdc. Couldn't agree more w/@dmwine. It is exceptional. https://…Tweeted 4 days ago
- RT @TJwinery: Thank you @washingtonpost @dmwine for including our XtraBrut in your selection for the Holidays. Cheers! https://t.co/mZVz9FA…Tweeted 4 days ago
- @moviolavideo SureTweeted 6 days ago
- RT @Margaux_du_ChM: Article in @washingtonpost by @dmwine about new Managing Director #PhilippeBascaules washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food…Tweeted 6 days ago
- RT @FRESHFARMSlvrSp: Grab some willow oak cider (by #countrypleasuresfarm) today @FRESHFARMSlvrSp! @dmwine endorsed! ow.ly/PUHD306JeieTweeted 6 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Vive la France!
- ##WW More Holiday Bubbly and Some Celebratory Reds
- #TBT: Not All Festive Fizz Comes from You-Know-Where
- Champagne: What Glass to Choose?
- Philippe Sereys de Rothschild Brings Business Savvy and Impish Humor to a Wine Empire
- Solving the Riedel of Coke
- Traveling the World at Vinexpo
- WoW: Angulo Innocenti Cabernet Sauvignon, Argentina $20