I love Sauvignon Blanc, a grape that
never seems to get the respect it deserves. It lives in the shadow of
Chardonnay, king of the market, and grapes such as Riesling that have
regal status among wine writers, or grapes such as Gruner Veltliner that
catch a trend and become a passing fad.
This may be because Sauvignon Blanc lacks an iconic identity that
defines the grape. Chardonnay = white Burgundy, Riesling = Germany. Even
France is schizo when it comes to SB, with different styles in Loire
and Bordeaux. Winemakers working with SB have no model to copy.
Of course, this can be great for us, as we can experience the various
ways SB can express itself around the world. I hope you’ll follow my
exploration of “A Sauvignon World”
on WineReviewOnline, a new Web site devoted to finding the world’s best
Two wines that I experienced for the first time in researching this
column are from Sauvignon Republic, a new California-based negociant
firm that aims to market Sauvignon Blanc from various regions around the
world to showcase how it performs in various terroirs.
Sauvignon Republic’s first two releases are from California and New
Zealand, arguably at opposite ends of the SB flavor spectrum. The 2004 Russian River Valley
is just a tad high in alcohol, at more than 14%, but unlike many in
that range it has fruit to match the heat – mango and creamy papaya
flavors and a medium-long finish.
The 2004 Marlborough has the grassy-vegetal flavors
typical of New Zealand, but it shows admirable restraint in that it
doesn’t push these characteristics over the top. It also has great
texture and body, which add complexity.
- RT @masnNationals: Baker's back in West Palm Beach, where he trained with the Braves as a player. masn.me/r4al #IBackTheNats htt…Tweeted 5 days ago
- RT @masnNationals: TFW you realize spring training starts next week! #IBackTheNats 🔜⚾️😃 https://t.co/uZZePfPtSSTweeted 1 week ago
- Enjoyed dinner tonight at ALL SET in Silver Spring. Good crab cakes, nice wine list! @allsetDTSS #wine #eatlocalTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @fritzhahn: .@WaPoFood goes to Walmart: Me on house-label 'craft' beer: wapo.st/2kIyCpU @dmwine on $7 95pt house red: https://…Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- RT @barbaraslavin1: a week ago, we did not have all these problems...Tweeted 3 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- Tasting SLV and Mouton with Warren Winiarski
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- ##WW More Holiday Bubbly and Some Celebratory Reds
- At Trump Winery - Renovations, not demolitions
- Sneak Preview Wine of the Week #4: Partridge Foot?
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- A Chance to Live the Luxury Wine Life in South Africa?
- Relieve Some Pressure: Pop a Cork!
- Thibaut-Janisson Xtra Brut - A New Can't Miss Virginia Sparkler That Most People Will Miss