If you live in the Washington, New York
or Chicago areas, or in south Florida or California, youâ€™ve probably
heard radio ads extolling French wines. These are part of the first
major U.S. promotional campaign by the French wine industry and Sopexa,
the French trade association for promoting food and wine products. So
whatâ€™s the big deal? Well, isnâ€™t it sort of a given that French
wines are good? Why the need to promote them?
â€œA lot of people recognize that French wines are great, but on the
other hand thereâ€™s an idea out there that French wines are all
expensive and there are no value wines to compete with Australia and
California,â€ says Sheri Sauter, the Durham, North
Carolina-based Master of Wine and perky spokesperson for the campaign.
The promotional blitz is meant â€œto connect with consumers and remind
them that French wines are good and let them know that the French are
also aware of the American consumerâ€™s need for great everyday wines
for the dinner table.â€
In recent years, the French have lost market share in the United States
and Britain to Australian and American wines. The French are also still
stinging from the anti-French sentiment of two years ago in the buildup
to the Iraq war, when French wines were ceremoniously poured into sewers
and toilets by American â€œpatriots.â€
Sauter chose 45 wines for the campaign, emphasizing value pricing, a
geographical mix, and modern labeling and packaging (including
varietally labeled wines and bottles with screw caps) to show that
France doesnâ€™t just make expensive wines for old fogies. You can find
out more about the campaign and the wines, as well as how to enter
Sopexaâ€™s contest for a free trip to France, at http://www.wines-france.us .
- Itâ€™s Spargel! With GrĂĽner Veltliner, of course - Alzinger 2014 Loibenberg from Wachau. #WeloveAustria #wine ow.ly/i/jDVbqTweeted 2 days ago
- They get very nervous @vinovolo if you just want to browse their #wine shop. đź™„Tweeted 6 days ago
- Celebrating #JOP40 at the Smithsonianâ€™s #NMAH. #wine https://t.co/sdSKvfl4ofTweeted 1 week ago
- Hey #WMATA. Please fix the pub. address system at #Metro Center. And hire less chatty people.Tweeted 1 week ago
- Where else to learn about US #wine history but at the Smithsonian, with the principals of the #JOP40 ow.ly/i/jrfXaTweeted 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- Crashing the Party at Quinta do Crasto
- Is Wine Really an Agricultural Product?
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name
- OK, so now I have tasted a Marcassin pinot noir ... and liked it!
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Figeac: The misunderstood Premier Grand Cru ClassĂ© of St. Emilion
- TN: Wine Find: Two Brothers Syrah 2003, $9
- La Vida Local: An interview with Christina Findley of The Bottle Shop
- Virginia allows corkage - but does anybody know that?