Next Thursday is the third in November,
which means the celebration of the new vintage and the sprouting of
signs proclaiming â€œLe Beaujolais nouveau est arrivĂ©â€ at a retail
outlet near you. But we donâ€™t have to wait until then to taste the new
vintage, thanks to our friends down under. Sure, itâ€™s cheating a bit
since they have a six-month head start, but this yearâ€™s Sauvignon
Blancs from New Zealand are already reaching our shelves.
And since there are so many Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand now,
itâ€™s easy to forget the one that came first and introduced us to the
brash, grassy-herbal style and that bold flavor that seems uniquely New
Zealand. (Some call it gooseberry, others say itâ€™s â€œcatâ€™s pee,â€
neither of which Iâ€™ve ever tasted, so I canâ€™t vouch for it.)
Cloudy Bay ignited the trend for New Zealand Sauvignon
Blanc in this country, and then became scarce and expensive. Quite
frankly, at $25 it is more expensive than competitors that are its
equal. But Cloudy Bay is still delicious and focused on coaxing the true
expression from the grape and its terroir. Many of its imitators seized
on the American enthusiasm for New Zealand wines and pushed the
grassiness and the mystery flavor over the top. Such wines fight with
each other, like T.O. and the Philadelphia Eagles. The 2005 Cloudy Bay
is an excellent reminder of why we fell in love with New Zealand in the
first place. All those qualities are there but held in perfect balance,
an ensemble working together.
- RT @convivialdc: Find the @GonetMedeville #1ercru by the glass at @convivialdc. Couldn't agree more w/@dmwine. It is exceptional. https://â€¦Tweeted 4 days ago
- RT @TJwinery: Thank you @washingtonpost @dmwine for including our XtraBrut in your selection for the Holidays. Cheers! https://t.co/mZVz9FAâ€¦Tweeted 4 days ago
- @moviolavideo SureTweeted 6 days ago
- RT @Margaux_du_ChM: Article in @washingtonpost by @dmwine about new Managing Director #PhilippeBascaules washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/foodâ€¦Tweeted 6 days ago
- RT @FRESHFARMSlvrSp: Grab some willow oak cider (by #countrypleasuresfarm) today @FRESHFARMSlvrSp! @dmwine endorsed! ow.ly/PUHD306JeieTweeted 6 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Vive la France!
- ##WW More Holiday Bubbly and Some Celebratory Reds
- #TBT: Not All Festive Fizz Comes from You-Know-Where
- Champagne: What Glass to Choose?
- Philippe Sereys de Rothschild Brings Business Savvy and Impish Humor to a Wine Empire
- Solving the Riedel of Coke
- Traveling the World at Vinexpo
- WoW: Angulo Innocenti Cabernet Sauvignon, Argentina $20