Next Thursday is the third in November,
which means the celebration of the new vintage and the sprouting of
signs proclaiming â€œLe Beaujolais nouveau est arrivĂŠâ€ at a retail
outlet near you. But we donâ€™t have to wait until then to taste the new
vintage, thanks to our friends down under. Sure, itâ€™s cheating a bit
since they have a six-month head start, but this yearâ€™s Sauvignon
Blancs from New Zealand are already reaching our shelves.
And since there are so many Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand now,
itâ€™s easy to forget the one that came first and introduced us to the
brash, grassy-herbal style and that bold flavor that seems uniquely New
Zealand. (Some call it gooseberry, others say itâ€™s â€œcatâ€™s pee,â€
neither of which Iâ€™ve ever tasted, so I canâ€™t vouch for it.)
Cloudy Bay ignited the trend for New Zealand Sauvignon
Blanc in this country, and then became scarce and expensive. Quite
frankly, at $25 it is more expensive than competitors that are its
equal. But Cloudy Bay is still delicious and focused on coaxing the true
expression from the grape and its terroir. Many of its imitators seized
on the American enthusiasm for New Zealand wines and pushed the
grassiness and the mystery flavor over the top. Such wines fight with
each other, like T.O. and the Philadelphia Eagles. The 2005 Cloudy Bay
is an excellent reminder of why we fell in love with New Zealand in the
first place. All those qualities are there but held in perfect balance,
an ensemble working together.
- RT @masnNationals: Baker's back in West Palm Beach, where he trained with the Braves as a player. masn.me/r4al #IBackTheNats httâŚTweeted 5 days ago
- RT @masnNationals: TFW you realize spring training starts next week! #IBackTheNats đâžď¸đ https://t.co/uZZePfPtSSTweeted 1 week ago
- Enjoyed dinner tonight at ALL SET in Silver Spring. Good crab cakes, nice wine list! @allsetDTSS #wine #eatlocalTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @fritzhahn: .@WaPoFood goes to Walmart: Me on house-label 'craft' beer: wapo.st/2kIyCpU @dmwine on $7 95pt house red: https://âŚTweeted 2 weeks ago
- RT @barbaraslavin1: a week ago, we did not have all these problems...Tweeted 3 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- Tasting SLV and Mouton with Warren Winiarski
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- ##WW More Holiday Bubbly and Some Celebratory Reds
- At Trump Winery - Renovations, not demolitions
- Sneak Preview Wine of the Week #4: Partridge Foot?
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- A Chance to Live the Luxury Wine Life in South Africa?
- Relieve Some Pressure: Pop a Cork!
- Thibaut-Janisson Xtra Brut - A New Can't Miss Virginia Sparkler That Most People Will Miss