The 2003 vintage in Europe was torridly
hot, which has led wine enthusiasts to proclaim it a wonderful year â€“
ripe wines for a change! But it really is a mixed blessing. In areas
where ripeness is not always a problem, the 2003s required careful
tending in the vineyard and in the winery. They did not always get it,
and as a result, the vintage is really quite uneven in quality.
One place that has bowled me over with its 2003s is the Loire â€“ and I
mean for red wines. Remember how often you pooh-poohed a Chinon or
Bourgeuil because they tend to be thin and acidic, proof that Cabernet
Franc is merely a blending wine that should not stand on its own? Well,
here is evidence of what this region can do when the stars align.
The Domaine de la Colline is not one of the â€œtop
Chinonâ€ producers, perhaps, but it has been consistent, and this
offering is extremely good for the price. It retains the austerity and
structure of Loire reds but fleshes these out with juicy cherry fruit,
spiced with the typical white pepper of Cab Franc. In other words, it
retains its terroir despite the unusual vintage. A bistro wine â€“ not
for the ages, but for the next few years.
Imported by Monsieur Touton Selection, New York, NY. Purchased at Schneiders of Capitol Hill, Washington DC.
- RT @masnNationals: Baker's back in West Palm Beach, where he trained with the Braves as a player. masn.me/r4al #IBackTheNats httâ¦Tweeted 4 days ago
- RT @masnNationals: TFW you realize spring training starts next week! #IBackTheNats ðâ¾ï¸ð https://t.co/uZZePfPtSSTweeted 1 week ago
- Enjoyed dinner tonight at ALL SET in Silver Spring. Good crab cakes, nice wine list! @allsetDTSS #wine #eatlocalTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @fritzhahn: .@WaPoFood goes to Walmart: Me on house-label 'craft' beer: wapo.st/2kIyCpU @dmwine on $7 95pt house red: https://â¦Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- RT @barbaraslavin1: a week ago, we did not have all these problems...Tweeted 3 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Sneak Preview Wine: Little James' Basket Press 2010 Viognier-Sauvignon Blanc
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- DC Hails Two New Master Sommeliers
- Catch-Up News: Sugarloaf Mountain Vineyard Changes Hands
- Solving the Riedel of Coke
- Sneak Preview Wine of the Week #4: Partridge Foot?
- Figeac: The misunderstood Premier Grand Cru ClassÃ© of St. Emilion
- An Irish kosher wine from New Zealand?
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?