The weather is finally turning warm, and
it‚€™s time to select a ‚€œhouse white‚€ for the summer. You know, that
inexpensive wine that you can buy by the case and always keep a bottle
in the fridge for gulping on the patio while the coals heat up in the
grill. Yeah, that kind of white.
I have two candidates this year, both Torront√©s from Argentina. This is
an obscure grape that hasn‚€™t yet totally succumbed to replanting as
Argentine wineries switch over to the more acceptable
‚€œinternational‚€ varietals such as Chardonnay. Torront√©s does not
yield a particularly complex wine, but it can be quite refreshing. It
has some floral aspects, peachy/lychee notes like a Viognier or
Gewurztraminer, but more restrained. It makes a fun aperitif, and its
bigger versions ‚€“ which are not very big by any standard ‚€“ match
nicely with pungent cheeses such as muenster.
I‚€™ll be stocking up on two Torront√©s wines this summer: Santa Julia 2005 Torront√©s ($8)
from Mendoza is exuberant with the floral notes that make Gewurz lovers
swoon, but is also dry enough to satisfy that grape‚€™s detractors.
(Well, maybe; it‚€™s worth a try!) This a delightful quaffing wine from a
line of bargain values produced by Famiglia Zuccardi winery. Anything
by this winery is worth the price.
Also worth seeking out is Tittarelli Reserva 2005 Torront√©s ($10).
Here the floral notes are a little more restrained than in the Santa
Julia, with some mineral character to give the wine a little backbone
‚€“ a great pairing for your patio nosh.
Santa Julia is imported by Winesellers, Ltd., of Chicago. Tittarelli is imported by William-Harrison Imports of Manassas, Va.
- Sock it to me! twitter.com/zaytinyadc/sta‚Ä¶Tweeted 22 hours ago
- Bubbles! Gramona Imperial Cava w/bone marrow kibbeh. Amazing! #sommsuncorked @ZaytinyaDC https://t.co/141tLAJlEoTweeted 23 hours ago
- Somm throw down @ZaytinyaDC. Assyrtiko v. Serbian Muscat w/salmon! Acidity wins this round! https://t.co/WlmdltJx1ITweeted 1 day ago
- RT @Virginia_Made: Why, yes Virginia, there is a Sparkling Norton. @Casanel Vineyard's Red Spark @dmwine @TheVAGrape @WineAboutVa @vawine‚Ä¶Tweeted 2 days ago
- RT @itswinebyme: Happy 40th Joel Peterson and @ravenswoodwine! Who knew his first target market was DC!Thanks @dmwine for the intel! https:‚Ä¶Tweeted 3 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Philippe Sereys de Rothschild Brings Business Savvy and Impish Humor to a Wine Empire
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- Figeac: The misunderstood Premier Grand Cru Class√© of St. Emilion
- RdV releases 2009 wines
- Sneak Preview Champagne #2: Jos√© Michel et Fils Brut Tradition
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name
- The RdV Salon Experience
- That Amazing Virginia Pinot Noir at #WBC11
- Exploring Loire Reds In Their Terroir - Literally