the Monterey Winemakers’ Celebration in Monterey, CA, on Aug 12, I made
a beeline for one booth in particular. I had heard of Steve McIntyre
but knew little about him, except that we probably weren’t related
except in some distant, existentialist sense. (This was confirmed when I
saw him – he’s too tall and handsome to be from my side of the family.
See for yourself, that’s him with his wife, Kim.)
Steve is a leading winegrower and vineyard manager in Monterey County,
tending vines for 22 wineries including San Saba, Estancia and Bonny
Doon. He also runs a custom crush facility where, it turns out, one of
my favorite wines is produced – Bonny Doon’s Big House Red. (Steve will
have it for one more vintage until the recent sale of the brand takes
Steve also makes his own wine, in small quantities that unfortunately
don’t really make it out of Monterey County. At the fair, he was pouring
a delightful 2000 Pinot Noir that at $18 retail still tastes fresh and
shows what Monterey County can do with that grape in its cool coastal
climate. His Chardonnay was also excellent, as was the 2001 Kimberly
Vineyard Merlot – soft, supple, plummy fruit with a dusting of cocoa.
I wish I could make these my house wines!
- I’m not telling you what you’re doing wrong. I’m telling you how to do it right. 😉 twitter.com/tcotter_theday…Tweeted 12 hours ago
- @pgsalvador That’s not my email address. Send me a DM.Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- True dat. twitter.com/bordeauxwines/…Tweeted 1 month ago
- Amazing California Syrah (with a sploosh of Grenache). A “Rhône” style #wine, yes, but with a decidedly delicious C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…Tweeted 2 months ago
- Textbook Bordeaux, with all the right flavors of graphite (pencil), black currant etc etc, but without the stress o… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…Tweeted 2 months ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Champagne: What Glass to Choose?
- Retailer Interview: Vanessa Moore of Unwined, in Alexandria, Va.
- Bierzo and Ribeira Sacra
- Is Wine Really an Agricultural Product?
- "Mangia, Mangia!" - Oh, wait, that's "Manga, Manga"!
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Excitement in Portugal
- RdV releases 2009 wines