the Monterey Winemakers’ Celebration in Monterey, CA, on Aug 12, I made
a beeline for one booth in particular. I had heard of Steve McIntyre
but knew little about him, except that we probably weren’t related
except in some distant, existentialist sense. (This was confirmed when I
saw him – he’s too tall and handsome to be from my side of the family.
See for yourself, that’s him with his wife, Kim.)
Steve is a leading winegrower and vineyard manager in Monterey County,
tending vines for 22 wineries including San Saba, Estancia and Bonny
Doon. He also runs a custom crush facility where, it turns out, one of
my favorite wines is produced – Bonny Doon’s Big House Red. (Steve will
have it for one more vintage until the recent sale of the brand takes
Steve also makes his own wine, in small quantities that unfortunately
don’t really make it out of Monterey County. At the fair, he was pouring
a delightful 2000 Pinot Noir that at $18 retail still tastes fresh and
shows what Monterey County can do with that grape in its cool coastal
climate. His Chardonnay was also excellent, as was the 2001 Kimberly
Vineyard Merlot – soft, supple, plummy fruit with a dusting of cocoa.
I wish I could make these my house wines!
- RT @VACommTrade: ICYMI: Great @dmwine @washingtonpost tribute to modern Virginia craft cider industry pioneer @FoggyRidgeCider Diane Flynt.…Tweeted 6 days ago
- @VACommTrade @washingtonpost @FoggyRidgeCider @VAWine @VisitVirginia Thanks, Todd!Tweeted 6 days ago
- @fromartz @WaPoFood As long as there’s good bread, all is fine. 😉Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @FoggyRidgeCider: Thanks to @dmwine for this lovely piece in @washingtonpost on my return to the orchard. Overwhelmed by the kind words…Tweeted 1 week ago
- I ❤️ @LeftFootCharley #wines. So glad to have them in DC area, thanks to @chiefwino twitter.com/michwine/statu…Tweeted 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- The Thanksgiving wine conundrum ...
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- Almaviva: Chile's grand opus turns 20
- OK, so now I have tasted a Marcassin pinot noir ... and liked it!
- A Failed Tea Party with Hugh Johnson
- The resilience of Burgundy
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Champagne: What Glass to Choose?
- Regional Wine at the Obama Inauguration