the Monterey Winemakers’ Celebration in Monterey, CA, on Aug 12, I made
a beeline for one booth in particular. I had heard of Steve McIntyre
but knew little about him, except that we probably weren’t related
except in some distant, existentialist sense. (This was confirmed when I
saw him – he’s too tall and handsome to be from my side of the family.
See for yourself, that’s him with his wife, Kim.)
Steve is a leading winegrower and vineyard manager in Monterey County,
tending vines for 22 wineries including San Saba, Estancia and Bonny
Doon. He also runs a custom crush facility where, it turns out, one of
my favorite wines is produced – Bonny Doon’s Big House Red. (Steve will
have it for one more vintage until the recent sale of the brand takes
Steve also makes his own wine, in small quantities that unfortunately
don’t really make it out of Monterey County. At the fair, he was pouring
a delightful 2000 Pinot Noir that at $18 retail still tastes fresh and
shows what Monterey County can do with that grape in its cool coastal
climate. His Chardonnay was also excellent, as was the 2001 Kimberly
Vineyard Merlot – soft, supple, plummy fruit with a dusting of cocoa.
I wish I could make these my house wines!
- RT @Raffaldini: Thank you @WineEnthusiast and @dmwine for spreading the word about @NCFineWines! winemag.com/2018/03/07/nor…Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @jncorcoran1: An exciting new Virginia wine is ripe for the tasting wapo.st/2p0bK84?tid=ss… by @dmwineTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @jncorcoran1: A veteran winemaker throws out the wine-selling playbook wapo.st/2Igy3iI?tid=ss… by @dmwineTweeted 1 week ago
- He’s definitely trying to do something different! #wine twitter.com/tonicmarketing…Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @patlee: Great to see the @washingtonpost write up on @adampinot and Clarice Wine Company by @dmwine. Adam is trying something complet…Tweeted 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Bubbles! Bubbles! Bubbles!
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Excitement in Portugal
- Worth Reading This Week: Turn it down, already! I've got a headache from all these allergenic additives in my organic wine!
- Is Wine Really an Agricultural Product?
- The Mother Vine: Regional Wine's Origin in the OBX
- Champagne: What Glass to Choose?
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass