the Monterey Winemakers’ Celebration in Monterey, CA, on Aug 12, I made
a beeline for one booth in particular. I had heard of Steve McIntyre
but knew little about him, except that we probably weren’t related
except in some distant, existentialist sense. (This was confirmed when I
saw him – he’s too tall and handsome to be from my side of the family.
See for yourself, that’s him with his wife, Kim.)
Steve is a leading winegrower and vineyard manager in Monterey County,
tending vines for 22 wineries including San Saba, Estancia and Bonny
Doon. He also runs a custom crush facility where, it turns out, one of
my favorite wines is produced – Bonny Doon’s Big House Red. (Steve will
have it for one more vintage until the recent sale of the brand takes
Steve also makes his own wine, in small quantities that unfortunately
don’t really make it out of Monterey County. At the fair, he was pouring
a delightful 2000 Pinot Noir that at $18 retail still tastes fresh and
shows what Monterey County can do with that grape in its cool coastal
climate. His Chardonnay was also excellent, as was the 2001 Kimberly
Vineyard Merlot – soft, supple, plummy fruit with a dusting of cocoa.
I wish I could make these my house wines!
- Two attention-getting gruners and three other lively wines to tryTweeted 2 days ago
- How does a top-rated winery in Maryland get even better? Buy a farm. wpo.st/m5aR2Tweeted 2 days ago
- Yay! 👍 twitter.com/fahrenthold/st…Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @NRCgov: U.S. #reactors with #CreusotForge parts are safe; full list of plants involved available in latest #NRC blog post. https://t.co…Tweeted 1 week ago
- DC's restaurant community lost a champ today in Michael Birchenall, publisher of Foodservice Monthly. #RIP #eatlocal #wineTweeted 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Drinking Local with The Wine Curmudgeon
- A Failed Tea Party with Hugh Johnson
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass
- Thibaut-Janisson Xtra Brut - A New Can't Miss Virginia Sparkler That Most People Will Miss
- A Winning Riesling from ... Rhode Island!
- OK, so now I have tasted a Marcassin pinot noir ... and liked it!
- Worth Reading This Week: Turn it down, already! I've got a headache from all these allergenic additives in my organic wine!
- RdV releases 2009 wines
- Inauguration Whine: Me Donner Un Break!