the Monterey Winemakers’ Celebration in Monterey, CA, on Aug 12, I made
a beeline for one booth in particular. I had heard of Steve McIntyre
but knew little about him, except that we probably weren’t related
except in some distant, existentialist sense. (This was confirmed when I
saw him – he’s too tall and handsome to be from my side of the family.
See for yourself, that’s him with his wife, Kim.)
Steve is a leading winegrower and vineyard manager in Monterey County,
tending vines for 22 wineries including San Saba, Estancia and Bonny
Doon. He also runs a custom crush facility where, it turns out, one of
my favorite wines is produced – Bonny Doon’s Big House Red. (Steve will
have it for one more vintage until the recent sale of the brand takes
Steve also makes his own wine, in small quantities that unfortunately
don’t really make it out of Monterey County. At the fair, he was pouring
a delightful 2000 Pinot Noir that at $18 retail still tastes fresh and
shows what Monterey County can do with that grape in its cool coastal
climate. His Chardonnay was also excellent, as was the 2001 Kimberly
Vineyard Merlot – soft, supple, plummy fruit with a dusting of cocoa.
I wish I could make these my house wines!
- Me and Jake Gyllenhaal. Go figure. #separatedatbirth. #wine #vawine #mdwine #drinklocal podcastone.com/capital-cultureTweeted 3 days ago
- 1st time I've been in a tweet with #JakeGyllenhaal! twitter.com/capitalculture…Tweeted 3 days ago
- #VaWineChat @DrinkWhatULike "Relative value" may be a problem at these prices.Tweeted 4 days ago
- 2/2 #VaWineChat @DrinkWhatULike Estate shows control and care by the winemakers. Not necessarily a sign of quality. #wine #vawineTweeted 4 days ago
- @DrinkWhatULike #VaWineChat Estate is implrtant but not definitive. A good winemaker will find great grape sources. 1/2Tweeted 4 days ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Wednesday wine recommendations, 8/30/2017
- That Amazing Virginia Pinot Noir at #WBC11
- Chatting up the best and worst of cheap wines
- Is Wine Really an Agricultural Product?
- Pollak Vineyards - A New Star in Virginia
- Stealth Wines, and the New American Negociant
- La Vida Local: An interview with Christina Findley of The Bottle Shop
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Lots of excitement in Chile and Argentina