For years I’ve been a fan of Randall Grahm of Bonny Doon
fame, ever since he entranced me with a Roussanne that turned out to be
a Viognier when someone took a closer look at the vines. My favorite of
his wines has been the Big House line, especially the Rhone-like Big House Red
that proved California can indeed make delicious wine for $10 a bottle.
Like many of Grahm’s fans, I was disappointed when he announced this
summer that he had sold the Big House label. A few weeks after his
announcement, I met with him at the offices of Bonny Doon Vineyards in
Santa Cruz, California. Grahm spoke at length about his determination to
focus on premium, estate-grown wines farmed biodynamically, as well as
the transformative power of fatherhood. The maverick who held a public
wake for the cork and derided Robert Parker with the mock headline, “The
Emperor Has No Nose!,” now says, “I need to shut up and make wine.”
Read my account of the interview in WineLine 57.
- @BurgerInfo That "connection" is more tenuous than one of Trump's conspiracy theories. To my knowledge, Rolland is no longer involved.Tweeted 1 week ago
- It will be a few years before we taste the treasure in these soils. instagram.com/p/BS5-gpXAf74/Tweeted 1 week ago
- @DrinkWhatULike #VaWineChat Our usual drivers may be on vacay. 😜Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- My #vawinechat lineup. But I'm with you in spirit. https://t.co/wkQYwAljKeTweeted 2 weeks ago
- Good evening #vawinechat Sorry to join late. Enjoyed the EMV - unfortunately the only one I have. 🙃Tweeted 2 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Vive la France!
- Impressions from Savour Australia 2013
- Wino the Week: Markowitsch Carnuntum Cuvée 2011
- Virginia allows corkage - but does anybody know that?
- Italy's Three Kings
- OK, so now I have tasted a Marcassin pinot noir ... and liked it!
- Pollak Vineyards - A New Star in Virginia
- Chablis: The Ultimate in Unoaked Chardonnay
- ##WW More Holiday Bubbly and Some Celebratory Reds