For years I’ve been a fan of Randall Grahm of Bonny Doon
fame, ever since he entranced me with a Roussanne that turned out to be
a Viognier when someone took a closer look at the vines. My favorite of
his wines has been the Big House line, especially the Rhone-like Big House Red
that proved California can indeed make delicious wine for $10 a bottle.
Like many of Grahm’s fans, I was disappointed when he announced this
summer that he had sold the Big House label. A few weeks after his
announcement, I met with him at the offices of Bonny Doon Vineyards in
Santa Cruz, California. Grahm spoke at length about his determination to
focus on premium, estate-grown wines farmed biodynamically, as well as
the transformative power of fatherhood. The maverick who held a public
wake for the cork and derided Robert Parker with the mock headline, “The
Emperor Has No Nose!,” now says, “I need to shut up and make wine.”
Read my account of the interview in WineLine 57.
- RT @Raffaldini: Thank you @WineEnthusiast and @dmwine for spreading the word about @NCFineWines! winemag.com/2018/03/07/nor…Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @jncorcoran1: An exciting new Virginia wine is ripe for the tasting wapo.st/2p0bK84?tid=ss… by @dmwineTweeted 1 week ago
- RT @jncorcoran1: A veteran winemaker throws out the wine-selling playbook wapo.st/2Igy3iI?tid=ss… by @dmwineTweeted 1 week ago
- He’s definitely trying to do something different! #wine twitter.com/tonicmarketing…Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @patlee: Great to see the @washingtonpost write up on @adampinot and Clarice Wine Company by @dmwine. Adam is trying something complet…Tweeted 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Bubbles! Bubbles! Bubbles!
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Excitement in Portugal
- Is Wine Really an Agricultural Product?
- The Mother Vine: Regional Wine's Origin in the OBX
- Champagne: What Glass to Choose?
- Worth Reading This Week: Turn it down, already! I've got a headache from all these allergenic additives in my organic wine!
- Finally, the perfect Champagne glass