Itā€™s always fun to compare wines of the
same grape but from different countries or regions. Tonight for dinner
(smoked pork chops from the Amish market, sautĆ©ed with onions and
mushrooms) we opened two Rieslings, just for fun. We probably drank them in the wrong order, but oh well.
First up was Lemelson Vineyards Adria Vineyard Dry Riesling 2003,
from Oregonā€™s Willamette Valley, a producer better known for its
rich, fleshy Pinot Noir. Weā€™d tasted this wine two years ago when it
was young and crisp; now the acid has softened and the stone-fruit
flavors have broadened ā€“ fattened even, in a good way. There was
delicious peach, apricot, papaya and still a hint of tropical mango,
with good minerality ā€“ not the ā€œpetrolā€ character of Riesling so
much, but wet stones after a cleansing spring rain. Lovely wine.
We followed this with Craggy Range Fletcher Family Vineyard 2005
from Marlborough in New Zealand. A year-and-a-half younger than the
Lemelson, this still had its bracing, refreshing acidity that dominated
but could not conceal a core of apricot and citrus flavors. Tight,
focused, mineral and young. Thatā€™s four words (not counting the
conjunction). In a single word, delicious. (Imported by Kobrand Corp., New York, NY.)
Now, if Iā€™d been less lazy about washing wine glasses, Iā€™d have
tasted them side-by-side and had even more fun comparing. But Iā€™m
still going to sleep happily tonight.
No matter how cold it is outside (and tonight is bitterly cold here in
DC), I just love Riesling ā€¦
- @ndutzan Too many to list in a tweet!Tweeted 9 hours ago
- #wine for visiting California friends last weekend. #drinklocal https://t.co/HVQ5JoUEqCTweeted 2 days ago
- RT @masnNationals: Baker's back in West Palm Beach, where he trained with the Braves as a player. masn.me/r4al #IBackTheNats httā¦Tweeted 1 week ago
- RT @masnNationals: TFW you realize spring training starts next week! #IBackTheNats šā¾ļøš https://t.co/uZZePfPtSSTweeted 1 week ago
- Enjoyed dinner tonight at ALL SET in Silver Spring. Good crab cakes, nice wine list! @allsetDTSS #wine #eatlocalTweeted 2 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Drinking Local with The Wine Curmudgeon
- RdV releases 2009 wines
- A Chance to Live the Luxury Wine Life in South Africa?
- Relieve Some Pressure: Pop a Cork!
- ##WW More Holiday Bubbly and Some Celebratory Reds
- #TBT: Not All Festive Fizz Comes from You-Know-Where
- A Failed Tea Party with Hugh Johnson
- Philippe Sereys de Rothschild Brings Business Savvy and Impish Humor to a Wine Empire
- Solving the Riedel of Coke
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?