These days, itâ€™s hard to get excited
about a $7 bottle of wine. Too many are pleasant enough, but simple and,
ultimately boring. So itâ€™s a pleasure to discover one thatâ€™s a real
gem – with enough verve and energy to interest even the most jaded
The Domaine des Hospices de Canet 2005, a â€œsimple
country wineâ€ – or vin de pays – from the Cotes Catalanes in the
Languedoc-Rousillon region of southwestern France, is one such find. A
blend of 60% Carignane, with the rest split evenly among Syrah and
Merlot, the wine is like a softened version of a Cote du Rhone. Juicy,
grapey and fun, it still has enough structure and grip to keep it
interesting. The winery is owned by Domaine Cazes,
one of the largest, if not the largest, producer of biodynamic wines in
France. Biodynamic is beyond organic – farming is conducted according
to the phases of the moon and some bizarre rituals sanctioned by a
German organization called Demeter. The Domaine des Hospices de Canet is
not certified biodynamic, but the farming practices are essentially the
So what you have here is an inexpensive charmer that is ideal for
simpler foods such as charcuterie, cheeses, burgers, pizza, even
stir-fries – in other words, a weeknight dinner at home. And itâ€™s
organic, to boot. Iâ€™m going back for a case.
Currently, the Domaine des Hospices de Canet is available in the DC
region only at Cleveland Park Wines on Connecticut Ave NW, across the
street from the Uptown Theater. But it can be ordered by any store in
the DC, MD and VA markets through Country Vintner.
- So much #Zinfandel, so little time! #wine #ZAPTweeted 3 days ago
- RT @DonnafugataWine: â€śSometimes a good #wine just needs to get the job done, but with a little added flair. This juicy red blend based on #â€¦Tweeted 6 days ago
- Excitement in Portugal dmwineline.wordpress.com/2018/01/16/excâ€¦Tweeted 1 week ago
- Great Values of 2017 dmwineline.wordpress.com/2018/01/15/greâ€¦Tweeted 1 week ago
- @scobry Too much for a tweet! If your 1st visit, include some history, such as Buena Vista, Mondavi, Inglenook, Staâ€¦ twitter.com/i/web/status/9â€¦Tweeted 1 week ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Excitement in Portugal
- Great Values of 2017
- More on the Loss of Billington Wines
- Jancis Robinson, Helen Turley, and "Dirty," "Underripe" Pinot Noir
- Sneak Preview Wine of the Week #4: Partridge Foot?
- A Failed Tea Party with Hugh Johnson
- Global Warming - Friend or Foe?
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Wednesday wine recommendations, 8/30/2017