Salice Salentino, the delicious red of Puglia on the heel of Italy’s boot, is almost a can’t miss wine. The Torre Saracena 2006 Reserva is an excellent example. It has some appealing age, considering it is only recently in this market, and offers characteristic flavors of dried sour cherries, dried candied orange peel, and woodsy spices. I found some of this leftover several days after opening the bottle, and it had become rather like aged balsamic vinegar – not the really expensive 60-year-old but a good 25-year-old. The dried cherry flavors were stronger, and there was an appealing sexiness, not unlike sweat just before it becomes perspiration. Try this as an example of what a few years in your cellar could do for a southern Italian red – only the winery has done the hard work for you. This is from the very good Vinicola Resta line. I give it 2 out of 3 stars (“Excellent”) and a “Great Value” label – it leads my list of Recession Buster picks in this week’s Washington Post Food section, and it deserves wider availability.
Country Vintner: Available in the District at Wagshal’s Market. Available in Maryland at Pine Orchard Wine in Ellicott City. Available in Virginia at the Italian Store in Arlington.
- I’m not telling you what you’re doing wrong. I’m telling you how to do it right. 😉 twitter.com/tcotter_theday…Tweeted 12 hours ago
- @pgsalvador That’s not my email address. Send me a DM.Tweeted 2 weeks ago
- True dat. twitter.com/bordeauxwines/…Tweeted 1 month ago
- Amazing California Syrah (with a sploosh of Grenache). A “Rhône” style #wine, yes, but with a decidedly delicious C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…Tweeted 2 months ago
- Textbook Bordeaux, with all the right flavors of graphite (pencil), black currant etc etc, but without the stress o… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…Tweeted 2 months ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Champagne: What Glass to Choose?
- Retailer Interview: Vanessa Moore of Unwined, in Alexandria, Va.
- Bierzo and Ribeira Sacra
- Is Wine Really an Agricultural Product?
- "Mangia, Mangia!" - Oh, wait, that's "Manga, Manga"!
- Bargain Bubbly: Kila Cava lives up to its name
- How Accurate are Wine Label Alcohol Levels?
- Excitement in Portugal
- RdV releases 2009 wines